While the pub was officially called the Bull's head, because of another pub with the name, it was often referred to as 'Upper Bull’s Head' or 'Top Bull’s Head' in documentation.
Like a lot of buildings on the High Street it has a Grade II listing.
A public urinal was once a feature of this pub, not surprisingly there were objections to this facility and it was eventually removed. In 1884 a Cheadle Herald article stated it was “impossible for a gentleman to walk with a lady without blushes close to Cross Street”, the article also stated that the public convenience had been there for more than 20 years. This was removed in 1895 by the then owners of the pub ‘John Joules and Son’ by order of the Cheadle District Council under the Public Health Act.
In 1898 the same brewery had plans to extend the Wheatsheaf into this pub and transfer the license to a proposed hotel in Totmonslow opposite the railway station, these plans however were rejected by the bench.
When the building was de-licensed in 1907, J. Joule and Son received £710 compensation.
In 1908 when the pub closed the building became a Hilton’s Booteries. In 1925 it became Cheadle’s branch of Barclays Bank, until 1967 when they moved further down the High Street.
Cheadle Travel Agency then took over the building, when they stopped trading in the early 2000s the Forget-Me-Not Florists moved in. The building became Draycotts Estate Agents in 2016 - in late 2019 it became a branch of Abode Estate agents.
William Barker (The Universal British Directory 1791, 1793)
Mary Wood (Parson and Bradshaw – Staffordshire Directory 1818 and Pigot’s Directory 1822)
John Hill (Pigot & Co.’s National Directory 1828-29)
George Tipper (White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1834)
William Travis (1837 – Victorian Cheadle 1841-1881)
Hannah Massey [from 1841] (Pigot’s Directory of Staffordshire 1842)
Thomas Plant (Post Office Directory of Birmingham with Staffordshire & Worcestershire 1849 and Slater’s Directory 1850)
Hannah Lakin (Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Staffordshire 1860 & Directory and Gazetteer of Staffordshire with Dudley, Harrison & Harrod 1861) [until 1864]
Thomas Alcock (White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1851)
John Salt (1868 Post Office Directory) [until 1870]
William Tipper (Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Staffordshire 1872)
George Philips (Cheadle Herald 1878)
John Goodbey [from Dec 1878] (Cheadle Herald 1878)
Jabez Noden (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1880) [until March 1884]
Thomas Mountford (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1884)
T. C. Stokey (Cheadle Herald 1887) [until June 1887]
Thomas Mountford [from June 1887 – Sept 1888] (Cheadle Herald 1887,1888)
Mary Plant [from Sept 1888 until July 1892] (Cheadle Herald 1888, 1892) – Married G. Adams Dec 1888.
Emmanuel Shaw [from July 1892] (Cheadle Herald 1892)
Mary Oliver (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1900, 1901 Census)
Rose Belfield (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1904)
Jane Tipping (Staffordshire Sentinel 1907) [Last Licensee]