MOORLAND BATTALION

This pub is mentioned in lots of the early trade directories and was located in New Street (later Tape Street) on the site of the current Lamplighter pub.

Landlord Jonas Holmes is also listed as a clothier in Pigot’s Directory of 1822.

 

In 1902 the pub was all but demolished to make way for the Station Hotel, which was constructed by local builder William Ball (Thanks to Alan Winning for that information).

 

Past Proprietors:

Hannah Burgess (Parson and Bradshaw – Staffordshire Directory 1818)
Jonas Holmes (Pigot’s Directory 1822)
Han. Holmes (Pigot & Co.’s National Directory 1828-29)
Robert Hammersley (White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1834)
Ralph Alcock (1841 Census, Pigot’s Directory of Staffordshire 1842, Post Office Directory of Birmingham with Staffordshire & Worcestershire 1849 and White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1851)
Jane Locker (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1880)
James Cope (Cheadle Herald 1883)
Ann Jane Winkup (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1884 and 1889 Cheadle Herald) [until May 1889]
Ann Wilshaw [from May 1889] (1889 Cheadle Herald)
Robert Cotton (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1900)
Richard B.H. Getley (1901 Census, Cheadle Herald 1902)
Henry Robinson (Cheadle Herald 1902)

© 2020 by Mike Plant. Proudly created with Wix.com

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now