The building was on the very end of Chapel Street, on land that is now the roundabout. It closed in 1973 and was demolished in the late 1980s along with a series of buildings along Tape Street.
By 1907 the pub was owned by the Burton Brewery Company. The rent paid by James Plant at that time was £14 per year.
On December 31st 1966 the Oddfellow Society held their annual general meeting here, the society had previously met at the Unicorn Hotel.
The Rifleman’s closed in 1973 following the death of the licensee, the pubs location in the town was by now considered to quite dangerous as road traffic had increased; throughout 1974 it was described as “the most dangerous place in Cheadle” by local press. The owners of the building Ansells Ltd. lodged a number of proposals with the Staffordshire Moorlands District Council throughout that year but they were refused.
By 1978 the building was still vacant and the area was still part of a plan to improve the road system; new plans to re-open the building as a pub were blocked at various time at the start of the year, against all the odds though the pub was granted a license in late 1978 although it failed to re-open.
In March 1981 the council managed to declare the pub permanently closed on the grounds of redundancy. The following month an application was submitted to turn the building into a series of flats.
The pub building was demolished along with other buildings on Chapel Street in the late 1980s.
William Thomas Elkin (Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Staffordshire 1872 and Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1880, 1884)
James Plant [from around 1895](Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1900, c.1910 Information, Kelly’s Dir 1921 and 1924)
Frank Albert Plant (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1932 and 1940)
George Brassington [last licensee in 1973] (Cheadle Public Houses of Yesteryear)