The earliest reference to this pub, is in the Parson and Bradshaw – Staffordshire Directory of 1818.
On January 8th 1840 the Oddfellow Society formed a lodge at this pub.
By 1907 the pub was owned by Charles Bunting and Company Ltd, when the pub’s license was up for review that year, a condition of it’s renewal was that the large gates were removed from the yard entrance, making it easier for the police to patrol the area. A review of it’s trade was also published, over the previous 3 years it had sold an average of 102 barrels of beer a year and 169 gallons of spirits.
In 1909, it was reported that over the two previous years; the owners had spent £400 on improvements.
During the Great War the opening times of public places serving alcohol were heavily restricted. In 1915 Ernest Johnson was charged with keeping the Rising Sun open after 9pm on a Sunday, where customers were drinking cider. It appears that since cider had been sold by a Mineral Water company, some licensees were unsure whether it was classed as alcohol – or at least that’s what was claimed in court!
On January 10th 1962 Cheadle’s Grand Order of Ancient Buffaloes held a dinner at the Rising Sun, entertainment was provided by Austin Jones and his Party.
The Cheadle OAP Committee held a dinner event here for 36 members in early February 1966.
In November 1966 the Cheadle Homing Society held an awards evening, the society would meet here until it’s
closure on a regular basis.
The toilets in the pub were refurbished in October 1973, they weren’t long open when two young customers damaged them by hitting them with bicycle chains. The two youths had recently read a book about gangs using chains as weapons, which gave them the idea. The owners of the pub; Allied Brewries UK Ltd paid £144 to have them repaired.
The pub closed in December 1984.
After the pub closed the building was converted houses, since then the Millennium Dentists who operated from the retail unit next to the houses expanded and have joined part of the building back together, leaving one part of the building still a house.
Arthur Moult who was the pub's last landlord in 1984, passed away in December 2019 aged 102.
John Smith (Parson and Bradshaw – Staffordshire Directory 1818)
Edward Tipper (Pigot’s Directory 1822)
William Johnson (Pigot & Co.’s National Directory 1828-29)
John Millington (White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1834)
George Salt (Pigot’s Directory of Staffordshire 1842, Post Office Directory of Birmingham with Staffordshire & Worcestershire 1849, Slater’s Directory 1850 and White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1851)
Joseph Wright (Staffordshire Advertiser 1854, Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Staffordshire 1860 and 1872)
Thomas Heath [from 11th Jan 1878] (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1880 and 1881 Census)
Sarah Heath (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1884 and 1896)
Mary Burton (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1900)
Job Hawley (1901 Census)
Joseph [Job?] Hawley (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1904)
Sarah Hawley [from 17th August 1906] (Documents dated 1907)
William Collins (c.1910 Information and Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1912)
Ernest Johnson (1915 Staffordshire Weekly Sentinel)
Alfred Wright (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1921, 1924, 1932 and 1940)
Arthur Moult (Cheadle Post and Times 1961) [last licensee in 1984] (Cheadle Public Houses of Yesteryear)