High Street -  West
High Street - West

Cross Keys and Royal Oak
Cross Keys and Royal Oak

Former Cross Keys Building
Former Cross Keys Building

Pictured in 2010

High Street -  West
High Street - West


The Cross Keys was open between 1793 and 1922, when the pub closed the building was converted into a shop and is currently Cheadle Fish Bar.

When advertised for let in 1810, it was described as been in Cheadle’s Market Place. At that time the market was in the street, focused around the Market Cross.


In July 1831 Richard Beech left this pub to run the Wheatsheaf, he ran an announcement in the ‘Staffordshire Advertiser’ to mark the event and advertised the Cross Keys to let at the same time.

A Candle house ran by a Mr. Lloyd operated from the Cross Keys Yard and was offered for sale in 1839 upon his retirement.

In March 1889 the pub was sold to the Burton Brewery Company Co. for £950, the pub had been previously up for auction but was withdrawn while bidding was at £900.

In 1919 when it’s license failed to be renewed the owners were granted £700 in compensation. Shortly afterwards another party must have managed to get another license, as the pub remained open until 1922.

The building was then split into a butchers shop and private residence.

Past Proprietors:


Thomas Robinson (The Universal British Directory 1791, 1793)
John Belcher (Staffordshire Advertiser 1817, Parson and Bradshaw – Staffordshire Directory 1818)
G. Fielding (Pigot’s Directory 1822)
William Beech (Pigot & Co.’s National Directory 1828-29)
Richard Beech (Staffordshire Advertiser 1831) [until July 1831]
John Fallows (White’s Directory 1834, Pigot’s Directory of Staffordshire 1842)
John Tipper (Post Office Directory of Birmingham with Staffordshire & Worcestershire 1849, Slater’s Directory 1850)
Thomas Plant (White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1851, Kelly’s Post Office Directory 1860, Kelly’s Directory 1884)
Hannah Plant (Kelly’s Post Office Directory 1872, Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1880)
Ann Plant [from 3rd Sept 1887 until Oct 1890] (Cheadle Herald 1887, 1890)
John Mellor [from Oct 1890 until Sept 1892] (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1892)
Frederick Taylor [from Sept 1892] (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1900, 1904)
William Henry Finnemore (Staffordshire Sentinel 1905)
Charles Pattinson (c.1910 Information, Staffordshire Advertiser 1919)
Fred Taylor [last licensee in 1922] (Cheadle Public Houses of Yesteryear)