FIGHTING COCKS

Map of Watt Place Area
Map of Watt Place Area

Fomer Fighting Cocks Building
Fomer Fighting Cocks Building

Pictured September 2019

Map of Watt Place Area
Map of Watt Place Area

1/2

This beer-house was open during the early 19th century, at 11 Lid Lane.

Interestingly the Bull's Head on Chapel Street; had also gone by this name at one time. So it might have been a  case of the tenant deciding to take the name when he left.

In 1830 an advertisement was placed in the Staffordshire Advertiser for an auction to be held at the establishment on Jan 1st 1831. On sale were a series houses along the principal street in the town, William Waugh is listed as the Fighting Cocks' proprietor.

Past Proprietors:

William Waugh (Staffordshire Advertiser 1830)