High Street -  East
High Street - East

press to zoom
The Greyhound 1920
The Greyhound 1920

press to zoom
Former Greyhound Building
Former Greyhound Building

Pictured January 2020

press to zoom
High Street -  East
High Street - East

press to zoom

In June 1879 Cheadle’s Oddfellow Society branch celebrated their 40th anniversary with a procession starting at this pub, after a Church service and visits to Blagg’s Greenhill mansion and Plant’s Cheadle Park mansion the society met back at the Greyhound for a meal.

After the closure of the Old Royal Oak in 1909 The Cheadle Town Homing Society adopted the Greyhound as their headquarters, from which they hosted their popular annual shows attracting competition from other other local groups.

Landlord John E. Plant (see dates below) spent some time away from the pub to serve his country during World War I.

By 1938 the pub was owned by the brewery ‘Ind Coope and Allsopp Limited’.


In 1940 the pub’s telephone number was 2149.


The Greyhound closed on 29th July 1962 and the building was converted to the current Barclays Bank building.


Past Proprietors:

Elizabeth Loton (Parson and Bradshaw – Staffordshire Directory 1818 and Pigot’s Directory 1822)
William Ball (Pigot & Co.’s National Directory 1828-29)
Samuel Emmons (White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1834)
George Williamson (1837 – Victorian Cheadle 1841 to 1881)
Benjamin Plant [from 1841] (Pigot’s Directory of Staffordshire 1842)
George Robinson (Post Office Directory of Birmingham with Staffordshire & Worcestershire 1849, Slater’s Directory 1850 and White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1851)
John Lovatt [1860-1861] (Victorian Cheadle 1841 to 1881)
John Warrington [from 1864](Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Staffordshire 1868, Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1880) [until 1884]
George Shenton [from April 1885] (Cheadle Herald 1885, 1889)
John Carr (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1900, 1901 Census) [until Dec 1901]
Fanny Carr (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1904)
Joseph William Keates [from 1909] (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1912)
John E. Plant (Cheadle Herald 1914)

J. W.  Keates (Staffordshire Sentinel 1918)
Austin Byatt (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1921 and 1924)
Anthony Spooner (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1932)
Harriet Spooner (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1940)
Archie Turner (Cheadle Public Houses of Yesteryear)
W. P. Keates [from 1955] (Cheadle Post and Times 1962) [Last licensee in July 1962]