Pictured in 2010
Pictured in 2010
The pub opened in 1860 on Queen’s Street which was built to provide housing for local textile mill workers. A number of breweries and companies have owned the pub over the years these include, Joule and Son, Bass, Avebury Taverns and Punch Taverns. While the pub has obviously had a number of refurbishments over the past 150 years it still retains it’s traditional atmosphere.
Landlord William Harding (see below) was an avid Pigeon enthusiast, so from 1907 the Queen’s Arms acted as the headquarters for The Queen Street Homing Society, in 1912 joined with another group to form The Cheadle District and Queen Street Homing Society.
In the early 1900s, the pub served as the headquarters for the Cheadle Free Wanderers football club.
A Grand Radius (10 miles) Pen Show was held at the pub in 1944, organised by the Cheadle and District Rabbit Club.
A full license was awarded to this pub in 1961 enabling it to sell beer, wine and spirits, a petition containing 85 names was presented to the bench prior to the license been granted.
In a scheme to raise money for local amenities Cheadle Town Council set up a lottery scheme in 1980, the first winner was awarded his cheque for £1000 in the Queens.
In 1994 the group 'Pegasus Research Into The Unexplained' held at least two meetings here.
Punch Taverns owned the pub in 2007, which is when permission was granted by SMDC to install two smoking shelters.
In June 2009 the pub was struck by lightning, which would have resulted in the pub having to be completely re-wired; if the wiring hadn’t already been refurbished earlier that year.
The Potteries branch of CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) voted The Queen’s Arms pub of the month in the Autumn 2010 issue of their newsletter ‘Potters Bar’.
? Weston (Cheadle Herald 1885)
Frederick William Pope (Cheadle Herald 1885) [until March 1886]
John Poltney [from March 26th 1886] (Cheadle Herald and John Alcock’s 1888 Diary)
Miss [?] Robinson (John Alcock’s 1888 Diary)
Sarah Ann Briddon (Cheadle Herald 1890) [until April 1890]
Elisha Coates [from April 1890] (Cheadle Herald 1890)
Henry Robinson (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1900)
William James Harding (Staffordshire Sentinel 1909, Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1921)
William Spooner (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1932)
John Leslie Weston (Cheadle Post and Times 1961)
Eileen and George Johnson (Cheadle Post and Times 1975 and 1980)
Bill Shaw (Cheadle Post and Times 1995)