Pictured January 2020
The Red Lion Inn was once on the High Street near the top of Cross Street. The buildings are 68 & 70 High Street. Now occupied by Dicksons Solicitors and Francesco [Jan 2020],
The Universal British Directory of 1791 describes the Red Lion as one of the towns principle pubs.
On May 27th 1831 an auction was held at the pub selling the dwelling houses on the newly laid out Charles Street, a plot of land was also up for sale measuring around 40 square yards.
On 23rd May 1863 landlord George Warrington was fined 5s (and court costs) for having the pub open on the Sunday morning of the 10th and serving beer.
Since most of the established pubs from this period remained open until at least the early 1900s, rather surprisingly this pub closed in the early 1860s.
Mrs Fisher (The Universal British Directory 1791, 1793)
William Smith (Parson and Bradshaw – Staffordshire Directory 1818, Pigot & Co.’s National Directory 1828-29 and White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1834)
William Barnes (Victorian Cheadle 1841-1881) [1834-1837]
George Lakin [from March 1838] (Pigot’s Directory of Staffordshire 1842)
Thomas Howe (1845 St. Giles Pew Allocations)
Thomas Hewitt (Post Office Directory of Birmingham with Staffordshire & Worcestershire 1849, Slater’s Directory 1850 and White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1851)
John Warrington (Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal 1857)
George Warrington (Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Staffordshire 1860) [until 1864]