UNION INN

Union Inn Sale Poster
Union Inn Sale Poster

Picture courtesy of the Cheadle and District Historical Society

Union Inn Sale Poster
Union Inn Sale Poster

Picture courtesy of the Cheadle and District Historical Society

1/1

The earliest mention of a pub by this name is in late November 1837 when the Union Inn was listed for sale, it’s features listed were “Dwelling-House and well accustomed Inn, ground floor, with five chambers over, and a stable and other suitable conveniences, and a quantity of building land contiguous to the house. ”.

In a letter written in 1908 to the Cheadle Herald there is a letter written by an old resident of Cheadle who talks about an Inn called the Union that was near the bottom of Cross Street “on the Charles Street side”, in reference to the land that the Earl of Shrewsbury brought on which the Pugin designed Catholic church was built upon (St. Giles).

 

Indeed in a letter written by Pugin to the Earl in March 1841 during the construction of the Church foundations he writes “we should have the beer shop and other houses near the church or they will block off the view from the street. For the beer shop they want £350.”

 

It is believed that the the premises continued to produce beer as payment for the workers before finally been demolished.

Past Proprietors:

John Tipper (circa. 1841) [Recalled in a letter to the Cheadle Herald 1908]